LANG=en_US.UTF-8

I am running a new install of RH8.  I had been having trouble with
character display in ncurses displays and man pages.  I started comparing
some of my variable definitions to those on my 7.3 machine.  I noticed that
the LANG variable was defined as en_US.UTF-8 on my 8.0 machine, and en_US
on my 7.3 machine.  I temporarily changed the variable to en_US on my 8.0
machine, and this seemed to resolve the issue.  How will this change impact
other applications, and where this variable is defined so I can change it
globally?

Thank you,

Jim Zimmerman