Re: Searching messages in Evolution

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 00:59, psyche-list-request@redhat.com wrote:
> --__--__--
>
> Subject: Re: Searching messages in Evolution
> From: mike <mike@redtux.demon.co.uk>
> To: psyche-list@redhat.com
> Date: 10 Oct 2002 03:53:04 +0100
>
> On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 23:30, Randy Kelsoe wrote:
> > Allan M. Stewart wrote:
> >
> > >First off, I'm disappointed because there doesn't seem to be a way
> > >to search all (or some) messages for a string. Kmail had this. You can
> > >search the current message in Evo.
> > >
> > >The weird thing is that I started on Valhalla-list digest, Vol 1 #1464 -
> > >12 msgs, which has the string "memory" in 2 places. I used the
> > >Evo menu Edit->Search Message and entered the string "memory".
> > >In this message there are 2 occurences of that string.
> > >The string "memory" disappears from the message. Completely!
> > >
> > >I'm sure it's probably a font issue, but this is a plain vanilla
> > >fresh install. Not an upgrade, no weird options.
> > >
> > >Apologies if this is a repeat, I'm having trouble keeping up with the
> > >volume.
> > >
> > >Allan
> > >
> > I just tried doing a search (clicked on Inbox to get to the inbox), then
> > in the top space, I selected "Body contains" from the pulldown next to
> > the pulldown button that says "Search", typed my search string in the
> > box to the right, and clicked on "Find Now". Worked as I expected, and
> > found strings in different emails....working for me....  :)
>

> Please note - search message does exactly what it says - it seraches the
> current message (not the mailbox)

I was using the Edit->Search Message menu, but I just tried it from the
top space with the same results. The string being searched for
disappears, but you are brought to where it is/was. It is still there,
because when I do an X-Windows cut/paste to another window, I do see the
string I was searching for. It has just disappeared from the Evo message
window. Text following the search string even moves to the left as if it
had been deleted. Clear the string in the text entry box and hit find
again and the text in the message re-appears. Wierd.

I can certainly work around this, but I'm surprised no one else sees
this. This is a clean install of 8.0 on a plain vanilla Pentium 3 PC.

Allan