Re: Samba and Encrypted Passwords

I was just as frustrated as you are now back when I first set up Samba.
I didn't try to do any firewalling at that time, which greatly
simplified things. I was smugly congratulating myself for networking 2
computers! My own networking mistakes made it much harder for me to get
Samba working, so I do understand what you mean by making a tremendous
effort.

I highly reccomend reading the Samba book by the publishing house
O'Reilly and Associates. Reading the first 50 or so pages of this book
fleshes out the whys and wherefores of Samba setup. It includes a really
excellent fault tree for networking issues that you can work with.
However my copy of the book is pretty old now and I don't know if the
authors did a new edition.

As to your question: netbios ports 137 and 139 are UDP as well as TCP. I
don't know what port 135 is used for -- excuse me for being rusty. I did
check /etc/services and consult the book Linux Firewalls by Robert
Ziegler. You'll probably be okay if you allow both TCP and UDP traffic
on these ports, but only on the internal interfaces. That means don't
allow them inbound from or outbound to internet.

Good luck and keep trying. As the installer used for the 'null' beta was
telling us, "success will be yours".

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA