Re: Xft problems with RH-8.0

Alexander Volovics wrote:
> When trying to compile an app (openbox) under RH-8.0 a number of
> complications are encountered.
>
> 1) the library libXft.so.2.0 is no longer to be found in
>    /usr/X11R6/lib (as in RH-7.3) but in /usr/lib
>
>    (However in /usr/X11R6/lib XFree86-libs-4.2.0-72 installs libXft.so.1.2,
>     presumably for compatibility reasons for apps compiled under RH-7.3)

Correct. for binary compatiblity.

> 2) the header file Xft.h is no longer to be found in
>    /usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft but in /usr/include/Xft2/X11/Xft
>
> 3) to make matters worse when you do find your way to /usr/lib and
>    /usr/include/Xft2/X11/Xft by using LDFLAGS, CPPFLAGS and softlinks
>    during ./configure you encounter a long list of undefined references,
>    for example to: FcPatternAddInteger, FcPatternAddBool, etc.
>
> 4) Snooping around you discover another header file in
>    /usr/include/Xft2/X11/Xft, namely XftCompat.h.
>    This file seems to contain the translations from the newer Xft.h
>    where these things are called for example: XftPatternAddInteger,
>    XftPatternAddBool, etc.
>    (but not all the undefined references seem to have translations)
>
>    It is completely unclear how you can make these translations work
>    and there is no documentation at all. (how do you use XftCompat.h)

Use "xft-config --cflags" to get CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS
and "xft-config --libs" for the LDFLAGS

Find where xft.h is includes in the source files. Make sure it's
just "#include <Xft.h>" and after it add "#include <XftCompat.h>"

Then try building. You migh have to play with the configure script
to get it to work. Look to see if it #include's Xft.h, and make the
same changes.

> As a non programmer who has only a very vague idea of what is going on
> here and what might be needed I find this very frustrating.

Best bet is to get the developers to update it for Xft2.
Xft2 is not, and was never intended to be, backwards compatible
with Xft1.x versions.

Y can try getting a prebuit package, that will use libXft.so.1.2,
and built with gcc-3.2 if it's C++.

Last ditch effort, build Xft1 from source, and install it
in /usr/local. Then tell the app to look there for
the includes and libs.

	-Thomas