Re: Xft problems with RH-8.0

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Thomas Dodd wrote:

>> When trying to compile an app (openbox) under RH-8.0 a number of
>> complications are encountered.
>>
>> 1) the library libXft.so.2.0 is no longer to be found in
>>    /usr/X11R6/lib (as in RH-7.3) but in /usr/lib
>>
>>    (However in /usr/X11R6/lib XFree86-libs-4.2.0-72 installs libXft.so.1.2,
>>     presumably for compatibility reasons for apps compiled under RH-7.3)
>
>Correct. for binary compatiblity.

Technically, Xft1 is included only for xterm and xditview which
both link to Xft1 when compiled.  It was easier to ship Keith
Packard's Xft1 ported to fontconfig than to bother trying to
update the few Xft1 apps that come with XFree86 to use Xft2.
Xft1 would be completely gone if xterm didn't use it itself.
It's just a side effect that other precompiled Xft1 apps can use
Xft1 as well.  Once the apps included with XFree86 are all using
Xft2 in the future (possibly XFree86 4.3.0), Xft1 will be dropped
completely, unless there is some major compelling reason to
continue including it.  As Havoc mentioned in a prior email, Xft1
manpage claimed quite clearly that Xft1 was experimental only and
could change in the future.

Anyone doing application development should be using Xft2 now, as
Xft1 is 90% eradicated.  ;o)  To my knowledge nothing else in Red
Hat Linux 8.0 uses Xft1 (and can't because there are no header
files included).  One OS release should be plenty of time for app
authors of any important apps using Xft to port them to Xft2.
>From what I understand, Keith P ports stuff overnight while
sleeping, so it shouldn't be that hard.  ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer