Re: S3

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 17:04, Danial Howard wrote:
> Greg Alexander wrote:
> > I found that support for my S3 card was discontinued as early as version 7.
> > I didn't try to find a driver, just got a card that worked.
>
> We were able to get "Psyche" running with X-windows on an S3 Trio64.
> (this video card didn't work under "Valhalla") The install detected an
> S3 card and tried to use the S3 generic driver, which doesn't work. We
> scrolled to the top of the list, expanded Other, and selected VESA. It
> works to our satisfaction. There may be a way to choose VESA after the
> installation is complete, but I don't know how.
>
> By the way, when Anaconda starts during installation, it tries to load
> the S3 driver and fails. It tries the VESA driver which works, and
> then continues the graphical install.

Ok... I'm exporting X to another machine and I run
redhat-config-xfree86.

I've selected VESA as the driver.

Things get a whole load further than they used to, but X still can't
load... does what it would normally when attempting to run a
configuration incompatible with your system (in terms of resolution &
color depth)

I suspect the issue now is the monitor setup. I have an 14" LG440Si
monitor, but I can't seem to probe it. How do I find out what the specs
are ?

I get this output when running redhat-config-xfree86:

# redhat-config-xfree86
* ddcprobe returned bogus values:
ID:   GSM36bd
Name: None