Re: Mildly pissed, was Re: Modem lights applet displays nothing....

Aaron wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Tom Georgoulias wrote:
>>Weird, mine works fine with just ifup/ifdown..
> So, maybe some people changed their PATH in their non-root accounts to
> coincidentally include /sbin?  Or not?  Or what?

Since user aren't supposed to use ifup and ifdown...
Use /usr/sbin/usernetctl instead.
Not sure about the modem-lights applett, I use the lights on
my modem instead :)

I use demand dialing, so I'm not constantly starting/stopping the
ppp interface and don't need a gui for that. Then again, I mostly
work with a shell, one of the things I dislike about M$ is no shell.

> I can't run KDE reliably.  This on an OOB custom install, not an
> upgrade, where all I did was select packages.  This is on a 450 MHz
> Intel, 384 MB, 8G machine-that-ran-7.3-just-peachy-thankyouverymuch.
> During the install there were no dependency problems flagged.

I use GNOME, and mozilla for mail. No problem
on a K6-III 400.

> to be much more configurable (and I'm not talking background colors).
> There's that gconf thing, but I feel really great when I see a warning
> that it might bugger my machine.

gconf makes edits to ~/.gconf for users. So you can
always 1) backup the directory before making changes
or 2) rm -Rf ~/.gconf to restore the defaults.

> And speaking of not actually using things, has anyone noticed that
> Evolution, and either Kmail or Balsa (forget which now) hate it when you
> leave them running after you take ppp down?  I'm accustomed to leaving
> my mail client up no matter what, to access old messages.

Works fine in mozilla. I just reach over an turn off the modem.
When I want back online, I turn it on. pppd redials for me.

> Yes, it's pretty, and the install is a bit nicer and easier, especially
> package selection, but this really is a .0 product.  Which surprises me,

It's better than previous .0 releases. I think it's better than
man .1 releases too.

	-Thomas