Flickering desktop icons & unkillable kfmclient processes

Hello, Everyone :)
Has anyone else heard of this problem?  I've never had anything like
this happen before.

When I log into my user account, (sometimes, not always.  There is no
rhyme or reason as to when it does this) sometimes the desktop icons are
flickering.  I then proceed to open a terminal window for the purpose of
running kpm to find out if there are any offending processes, and it
takes a LOT longer than normal to even get a terminal window.  When I
finally am able to run kpm, (which takes a lot longer than normal to
open up), it has multiple occurances of a process called "kfmclient".
When I try to kill them, it gives me a message telling me that one of
the processes I have chosen to kill has already dissapeared, but then
none of the other "kfmclient" processes ever dies.  Then (I can't
remember which), after I logout and then log back in, or reboot, the
problem is gone, and there are no occurances of "kfmclient", and the
desktop icons are behaving correctly.
I now have about 20 of these "kfmclient" processes running, and I have
not started a single one of them.  And the desktop icons are still
flickering.
Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated, and I will gladly
submit a bug report if necessary :)
Oh yeah, apparently the "kfmclient" processes are running BEFORE the
"kpm" program runs.

Thanks in advance :)
Steven P. Ulrick