Re: Flickering desktop icons & unkillable kfmclient processes

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002 16:57:28 -0500
Steven P. Ulrick <spu@faith4miracle.org> wrote:

> Hello, Everyone :)
> Has anyone else heard of this problem?  I've never had anything like
> this happen before.
>
> When I log into my user account, (sometimes, not always.  There is no
> rhyme or reason as to when it does this) sometimes the desktop icons
> are flickering.  I then proceed to open a terminal window for the
> purpose of running kpm to find out if there are any offending
> processes, and it takes a LOT longer than normal to even get a
> terminal window.  When I finally am able to run kpm, (which takes a
> lot longer than normal to open up), it has multiple occurances of a
> process called "kfmclient". When I try to kill them, it gives me a
> message telling me that one of the processes I have chosen to kill has
> already dissapeared, but then none of the other "kfmclient" processes
> ever dies.  Then (I can't remember which), after I logout and then log
> back in, or reboot, the problem is gone, and there are no occurances
> of "kfmclient", and the desktop icons are behaving correctly.
> I now have about 20 of these "kfmclient" processes running, and I have
> not started a single one of them.  And the desktop icons are still
> flickering.
> Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated, and I will
> gladly submit a bug report if necessary :)
> Oh yeah, apparently the "kfmclient" processes are running BEFORE the
> "kpm" program runs.
>
> Thanks in advance :)
> Steven P. Ulrick

Oh yeah, I really don't have any more info to give you, other than that
I have an AMD Duron 650mhz processor, 384 megabytes of ram, and have all
1400 (approx) packages of Red Hat 8 installed.  And that everything runs
slow when the problem is occuring, and that everything is a lot faster
when the problem is not occuring.