Re: CUPS and KDE and RH 8.0

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Alexander Troppmann wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I have some troubles with CUPS and KDE. Neither from the HTTP webinterface nor
> from the KDE control center a test page will be printed. After the test page
> has been queued and processed I can watch some log messages about filters and
> backends and then - nothing happens...
>
> I just wonder why a simple "lpr file.gif" from konsole works...?!? I've also
> removed the LPRng package but without any success, didn't change anything
> (off course)

As you've installed CUPS, the commands lp and lpr are both used by CUPS as
front-ends to their system.  Look at "man lp" and "man lpr":  you'll see
that the pages are written by "Easy Software Products" who make cups.  Red
Hat has been implementing a Debian-like "alternatives" system for a couple
of things like printing, mail since 7.3.  Examining /usr/bin/lp with a "ls
-l" will show that it's a symbolic link to /etc/alternatives/print-lp
which is a symlink to /usr/bin/lp.cups which is what your "man lp"
describes the behaviour of (sorry for the bad grammar!).  Similarly for
lpr.

> I upgraded from Red Hat 7.2 and printing worked fine under 7.2
>
> Another example: I' running gv and try to print a page using "kprinter" as
> print command - kprinter says, that my file has been sent to the printer and
> nothing happens anymore...
>
> Maybe any idea?

Make sure that you run "redhat-switch-printer" to make sure that CUPS is
indeed chosen.  Try setting the Printer options in "gv" to something like
"lp" or "lp %s".  Use the http://localhost:631  CUPS administration
interface to print a testpage to make sure that CUPS is indeed seeing the
printer (alternatively you could use the lpadmin commands that CUPS
introduces if you prefer the commandline).

Oisin Feeley