gdm uses wrong vt after disk upgrade

Hi,

Using RH9+updates, P4/generic nVidia GeForce2 card, nVidia
drivers. All was working well, then I installed a larger HDD (old:
Seagate 40GB IDE UDMA100, new: Seagate 80GB IDE UDMA100). I just
partitioned the new disk, copied filesystems over using tar (from CD
rescue environment), installed grub, removed old drive, booted, all
seemed ok, shutdown, went to bed.

Next day, booting to runlevel 5, all looked well up to the point where
gdm fires up, then the screen goes black, can't switch VT's, though
system will reboot if I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del. I then bring it up in
runlevel 3 and check the XFree86.0.log file and it says the X server
was told to start on vt8 (should be 7).

Having booted to runlevel 3, if I do a 'startx' it works, then a
telinit 5 also works. At this point, a complete reboot usually does
the right thing, but if I shut it down and try again it usually
fails.

So, likelyhood is I stuffed something up when I moved from the old
disk to the new one, though everything else _seems_ ok, and when X
works, it seems to work properly... any suggestions?

Thanks,

Simon
--
Simon Greaves            Voice: +679 3212114
Systems & Networks       Fax:   +679 3304089