Re: gdm uses wrong vt after disk upgrade

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Simon Greaves wrote:

>Using RH9+updates, P4/generic nVidia GeForce2 card, nVidia
>drivers. All was working well, then I installed a larger HDD (old:
>Seagate 40GB IDE UDMA100, new: Seagate 80GB IDE UDMA100). I just
>partitioned the new disk, copied filesystems over using tar (from CD
>rescue environment), installed grub, removed old drive, booted, all
>seemed ok, shutdown, went to bed.
>
>Next day, booting to runlevel 5, all looked well up to the point where
>gdm fires up, then the screen goes black, can't switch VT's, though
>system will reboot if I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del. I then bring it up in
>runlevel 3 and check the XFree86.0.log file and it says the X server
>was told to start on vt8 (should be 7).

The X server starts up by default on "the next unused VT".  The
only way it would start on vt8 would be if either:

1) There was already an X server or other process running on VT7

or

2) You pass the X server the "vtXX" commandline argument

or

3) You have more than the 6 default tty's configured in /etc/inittab

>Having booted to runlevel 3, if I do a 'startx' it works, then a
>telinit 5 also works. At this point, a complete reboot usually does
>the right thing, but if I shut it down and try again it usually
>fails.
>
>So, likelyhood is I stuffed something up when I moved from the old
>disk to the new one, though everything else _seems_ ok, and when X
>works, it seems to work properly... any suggestions?

Try removing the "nvidia" driver, which is unsupported, and using
the "nv" driver instead. You need to reboot your system
completely and ensure that the proprietary driver does not get
loaded since boot time, or else the video card won't be in a
power-on state for clean testing results.

--
Mike A. Harris