Re: Stupid user tricks dual Radeon 7500 cards

Alex Deucher wrote:
| --- "K. S. Griffiths" <kgriffi@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
|
|>I'm not nearly as experienced with Linux as I'd like to be, try as I
|>might on my own I can't get dual head to work on my system.
|>
|>Specs are PIII 733, Tyan Motherboard, one ATI Radeon 7500 in AGP
|>slot,
|>second ATI Radeon 7500 in PCI slot.  I have one 15" LCD that supports
|>
|>1024x768 that I want to be my secondary monitor, and a 17" LCD that
|>supports 1280x1024 that I want to use as my primary.  Individual
|>desktops are preferred as I need the 1280x1024 resolution.  The 17"
|>LCD
|>is physically below the 15" LCD.
|>
|>The setup works under SuSE Linux just fine but SuSE was being a PITA
|>about some of the apps I need to use for my job.  Below is my
|>XF86Config
|>with most comments edited out:
|>
|># XFree86 4 configuration created by redhat-config-xfree86
|>

| [snip]
|
|>Section "Device"
|>         Identifier  "Videocard0"
|>         Driver      "radeon"
|>         VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
|>         BoardName   "ATI Radeon 7500"
|>EndSection
|>

|>Section "Device"
|>         Identifier  "Videocard1"
|>         Driver      "radeon"
|>         VendorName  "Videocard Vendor"
|>         BoardName   "ATI Radeon 7500"
|>         BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
|>EndSection
|>

| [snip]
|
| you probably need to specify the busid of the PCI radeon card.
| PCI:1:0:0 is the agp card.  If that doesn't work, there was a problem
| with certain combinations of multiple radeon cards in 4.3.  A fix went
| in just after 4.3 was released and I don't know if the fix was included
| in readhat's build.  If it is a problem with output detection you can
| try the "monitorlayout" option which will force the output
| configuration you want.  A xfree86 log would be helpful.
|
| Alex

That got it, though for some reason lspci listed the busid as 0:11:0 and
the xfree86 log listed it as 0:17:0.  0:17:0 worked.

Now for the next issue, if I try and use different resolutions the 17"
lcd Borks (fuzzy display 640x480 resolution.)  The refresh rates are good.

If necessary I can live with it, but the 1280x1024 on the 17" LCD would
be nice.