Xfree being bad w/ 8.0

I have a copy of RH 8.0 that I've been trying to figure out.  The problems
started in installation... monitor probing hanged, and I got past it with
skipddc in text mode.  When it got to setting up XFree, I hit the test
button.... A black screen and nothing... at all. I waited for a minute or
two, and guessed it had frozen.  Reinstalled, skiped XFree.  Now what?  I
can get in with the boot floppy for Console (Haven't figured out the
Mandrake boot loader with it yet), but I'm new to linux and have no clue how
to set up XFree from the terminal.  My extent of XFree knowledge is
"startx," nothing more. :-P  Any help?  I'm just using RedHat to learn about
Linux with, so it's no extreme deal, but I'd like to have it work. YellowDog
and Mandrake have me hooked. :-P
    Thanks,
         Eric