Fwd: Re: [Dri-devel] Re: Another question on Fedora GL

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
--- Begin Message --- Lionel Ulmer wrote:

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 01:11:24PM -0800, Alex Deucher wrote:

I'd point you to the patches if I could remember when this last came
up.  If someone has time they might look through the dri-devel or
dri-users archives.  Does anyone on dri-devel remember this issue and
what the fix was? glXGetProcAddressARB not being available.

Well, I am at least partially responsible for this problem.... Basically, I am extra-strict in the Wine OpenGL code when checking for the presence of the glXGetProcAddressARB call (ie I not only check for the presence of the symbol with dlopen / dlsym but also check for the presence of the 'GLX_ARB_get_proc_address' string in the GLX extension string reported by the server).

When I last raised this issue on this list, I was told that the new DRI
release would fix this and report this extension. I could look in my mailing
list archives to see who told that and when :-)

It was I that told you that. The fix is in the DRI tree and should be in the current XFree86 tree. I'm 99.9% sure that it will be in 4.4.0. Basically, the fix is a side-effect of the GLX extension tracking code that was added post-4.3.0. Since GLX_ARB_get_proc_address *is* always there, distros can patch 4.3.0 (and earlier) releases by just appending " GLX_ARB_get_proc_address" to the effectiveExtensions string stored in the __GLXscreenConfigsRec.

Either that or apps can work around buggy libGLs by checking the client extension string for GLX_ARB_get_proc_address. That extension is client-side only, so that's good enough.

My honest opinion is that both should be done.

Anyway, if you have the Wine source tree, you have to only change one line
to fix this issue :-)