Radeon AGP/PCI autodetection, misdetection, DRI, performance, and you!

The "radeon" driver currently is misdetecting some AGP cards as
PCI cards in Fedora Core 1 and later builds, and in RHL 9 current
erratum.  RHEL3 "radeon" driver is immune, and should work more
like the stock RHL 9 driver did as far as AGP/PCI autodetection
are concerned.

XFree86-4.3.0-45 in rawhide, and now also available via yum/ftp
on my ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing/unstable location
contains new code I've implemented to autodetect AGP and PCI
hardware in a generic way using the PCI and AGP specs as a guide,
rather than twiddle hardware specific doodads.  I'd like to get
as many Radeon users as possible to test the new XFree86 release
on Fedora Core 1.  Users of Red Hat Linux 9, RHEL 3 or other
builds who want to test it also, should instead just download the
individual driver files I've uploaded separately to:

ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing/unstable/XFree86/4.3.0-45/drivers-i386
ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing/unstable/XFree86/4.3.0-45/drivers-ppc
ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing/unstable/XFree86/4.3.0-45/drivers-x86_64

You need both the ati_drv.o and radeon_drv.o files, and can just
copy them into /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers on x86 and ppc, or
/usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/drivers on AMD64.  Be sure to back up
the original driver files *first* if you do this, so that you can
restore them if for any reason the driver explodes or whatever.

So far, I've had 6 volunteer testers, and 6 reports of proper
operation including on x86 and AMD64, and using both AGP and PCI
Radeon cards, so it looks good.  I'm now posting this here to get
wider spread testing, in hopes this stupid autodetection problem
is solved for once and for all.  ;o)

To test it, once the new release is installed, or the new driver
files dropped into place, restart XFree86 completely, and reboot
the computer entirely in order to reset the Radeon to it's
default power-on state.   Once X starts up, examine your new X
server log file, and you should see a message somewhere
indicating one of the following:

	AGP radeon detected

	or

	PCI radeon detected

The message displayed should match your particular hardware
properly.  If it doesn't, I want to know so we can troubleshoot
together.  Please reply to this message on-list, both with a "it
(works properly|doesn't detect right) for me on my Radeon nnnn
(PCI|AGP) card...." with any useful details.

If this works, DRI should work now on both PCI and AGP Radeon by
default on x86, AMD64, and ppc (although it's still experimental
on PCI Radeon).

Also, some users have reported performance losses with Fedora
Core 1 on Radeon, which has been a surprise to me, since most
people report performance _gains_.  I believe this might be
caused by their AGP cards being detected as PCI cards in the
Fedora Core 1 radeon driver, and they end up unknowingly using
DRI over pcigart instead of DRI over AGP - hence the performance
hit.  So, if you've experienced a performance hit with Fedora
Core 1 on AGP Radeon, please test this new X release out, and see
if the numbers come up there.

Anyone who has filed related bug reports about any of this,
please update your bug report with new information and wether or
not the problems you had are solved with the new driver.  I'm
hoping this solves various problems that have been reported, that
were kindof vague and more or less not reproduceable by me
before.

Feel free to also pass the drivers on to other people, including
users of other Linux or BSD distributions.  Should work across
the board.

TIA