Re: Trolling for shuttle sff computer experiences

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 22:57, Alex Deucher wrote:
> Other than 3D Thomas' sis driver is very flexible and full featured,
> plus some sff boxes based on sis chipsets offer DVI ports (not sure
> about your model).  The latest code drop from S3/VIA offers good
> functionality for the savage chip (3D, Xvmc), however it has not yet
> been ported to mesa 5.x.  see the savage-2_0_0 branch in DRI cvs.  I'm
> not sure the savage chips support DVI.  As I recall the video engine in
> the savage chips wasn't the greatest, but that might be overcome by
> using the Xvmc stuff.  I'm not too familiar with the sis video engine
> performance-wise, but I think it is decent, plus there are a lot of Xv
> related controls that other chipsets don't offer like chromakey and
> good tv out support.
>
> Add on cards may perform better due to havin discrete memory, but few
> xfree86 drivers support TV out.  The few that come to mind are mostly
> integrated chips (trident, via, savage, sis).

Thanks for the additional info.  the shuttle models do have a $40 add on
card that plug into the agp port that provides dvi and tv out
connections to the onboard video.

It appears that with the gatos ati.2 driver the radeon 7200 chip has
good tv out support using their ati.2 driver.  I installed this driver
to get xv support in mplayer on an ati expertLCD (Mach64 based) and it
was dead easy.

It also appears that the card will fit into the box which is a good
thing ;)

Is there some document that explains the relationship between mesa gatos
xfree86 XvImage Xvideo and all the other names that keep cropping up in
my reading?  Every time I start to think I am beginning to see the
light, it is another train.  Or even worse I have the feeling I have
read a decent explaination somewhere and can't get back to it after
reading another hundred pages or so of information.

Thanks again.

Bret