Re: Trolling for shuttle sff computer experiences

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 18:44, Alexandre Strube wrote:
> Em Seg, 2003-11-03 às 22:16, Bret Hughes escreveu:
>
> > Shuttle SK41G - VIA KM266/8235 based with Via Savage 8 video (At least I
> > think Via does the video too)
>
> There was some discussion about Via driver here some days ago. The
> actual driver has some problems, which are,
>
> 1) it does not have DRI, which can compromise performance - obviously
> for 3d stuff.
> 2) even when configured for 24 bit color depth, it displays in 16-bit
> (or some sort of - default redhat background becomes a bunch of blue
> bananas under it)
>
> Via released a open source driver which is supposed to correct this
> issues, but this one needs too much work to function under the latest

Exactly the sort of stuff I am looking for.  Thanks.  I caught the tail
end of that thread as I subscribed but did not really get it.  I will
check the archives.  Is this list searchably archived somewhere other
than redhat?  I will try the RH site but I have not had good experiences
over the years there :(

FWIW I also found this link with a lot of stuff about the sis driver
from a guy that claims to be the maintainer of the XFree86 sis driver.
I have not had a chance to wade through all of it yet but it looks to be
very informative and well laid out:

http://www.winischhofer.net/linuxsisvga.shtml

Bret