lock the screen when logging was done as root user

Hello,

I am running RedHat 9 ; is there some utility to lock the screen when logging was done as root user?
If I try to go to Start->Lock Screen nothing happen ; and trying xscreensaver gives the following error:

xscreensaver: Can't open display: :0.0
xscreensaver: initial effective uid/gid was root/root (0/0)
xscreensaver: running as nobody/nobody (99/99)

xscreensaver: This is probably because you're logging in as root.  You
             shouldn't log in as root: you should log in as a normal user,
             and then `su' as needed.  If you insist on logging in as
             root, you will have to turn off X's security features before
             xscreensaver will work.

well , I do really do not want to turn off X's security features;

Is there some other soluton/workaround/utility to achieve locking
the screen when logging was done as root user?

regards,
sting