changing "Protocol" option to "IMPS/2" in XF86Config-4 causes problems

Hello,
I am working with redhat 7.3 with XFree86-4.2.0-8.
I had a problem : I could not use scrolling with the wheel mouse in applications like Mozilla and
JEdit.
I searched the Net an saw that I should change my Option "Protocol" in
Section "InputDevice" Identifier "Mouse0" in XF86Config-4.

I had changed it from:
Option		"Protocol"		"PS/2"
Option		"Protocol"		"IMPS/2"

and
restarted my X server; avaerything was OK now with scrolling the mouse ;
I could use scrolling with the wheel now in Mozilla and JEdit.
The problem is , I am using a CPU-"Switch" box; it is simple multiplexer
which enables connecting 2 computers to use the same keyboard,mouse
and monitor ; now when I switch from LInux to the other machine (Windoows)
, everything is OK; but when I return to Linux, I cannot use the mouse anymore ; it
flickers and when I move it it suddenly opens other menus, selects items
from them , and behaves very strangely and wildly on the screen.

What to do ? Any idea?
regards,
sting