Problem remapping BackSpace key using xmodmap (RedHat 9, XFree86 4.3.0, IBM Thinkpad R40))

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this
irritating problem.  I have been trying to use
xmodmap(1) to remap backslash/pipe to my backspace
key (and vice versa), thus replicating the Sun
Microsystems standard keyboard layout for those 2
keys.  I was partially successful.

Now, when I hit the backslash/pipe key, a backspace
event is generated, even if I am holding down the
shift key.  But, although a backslash key symbol
event is generated when I hit the backspace key
unshifted, the pipe key symbol event is NOT generated
when I hit the backspace key shifted.  Instead, the
same backslash key sumbol event is generated.

Using xev(1), it appears that a shift-backspace-key
combination is being generated, but the wrong keysym
is being returned.  Specifically, the relevant output
regarding the KeyPress events from xev are for the
unshifted key press

     KeyPress event, serial 17, synthetic NO, window
0x800001
         root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 3579318, (99,140),
root:(712,730),
         state 0x0, keycode 22 (keysym 0x5c,
backslash), same_screen YES,
         XLookupString gives 1 bytes:  "\"

and for the shifted key press

     KeyPress event, serial 17, synthetic NO, window
0x800001
         root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 3580967, (99,140),
root:(712,730),
         state 0x1, keycode 22 (keysym 0x5c,
backslash), same_screen YES,
         XLookupString gives 1 bytes:  "\"

The only difference is the value of "state," which
is 0x0 in the unshifted key press, and 0x1 in the
shifted key press.

I have tried a Google search, but was unsuccessful.
I have also tried checking the XF86Config man pages
for a server option or such, but could not find
anything.

Can anyone shed light on this problem?

My setup is:

     RedHat Linux version:  9 (vanilla, out of the
box)
     XFree86 version:       4.3.0
     Hardware:              IBM Thinkpad R40

Any help would be greatly appreciated!