Re: X suddenly takes 92 to 95% of CPU load, why?

On 14 Jul 2003, Optimized wrote:

>My problem is that all day long once every 20 to 30 minutes I can see
>that X (using top system monitor, PID and COMMAND = X) is taking about
>92 to 95% of my CPU load when the system idles and I don't know why.
>
>What is going on exactly and

In order for someone to answer that, they'd have to be able to
reproduce it 100% as that is certainly not expected behaviour if
it is caused by a flaw.

More likely, you will have to run the X server in gdb or strace
it, in order to find out why it is doing this.

>is there a way to prevent this from happening?

If it is a bug in the X server, you would have to debug the X
server, find the bug, fix it and submit a patch to
http://bugs.xfree86.org (or get someone else who can reproduce it
to do so).  Reporting such a bug without a fix though isn't
useful unless you can describe exactly how to reproduce it on any
system.

The other probable cause, is that some software that is running,
is utilizing X resources and API's and causing the X server to do
work.  It is possible that you have a malfunctioning application.

It's also possible that there is no bug anywhere, and that you
just have something running at even intervals that exercise the X
server occasionally, such as a screensaver.

HTH

--
Mike A. Harris