Re: libGL optimizations integrated into rawhide XFree86-4.3.0-17

On 14 Jul 2003, Jim Hayward wrote:

>> If any bugs are encountered while using these new libGL
>> experimental optimizations, please report them in Red Hat
>> bugzilla against XFree86, and include full details of the
>> problem, steps to reproduce, any word for word error messages
>> displayed on screen.
>
>Wolfenstein Enemy Territory crashes on startup with 4.3.0-17 compiled
>with the experimental libGl optimizations.  This is the only game I
>tried.
>
>No error messages at all are displayed anywhere. Either by X or by
>Wolfenstein ET. Nothing in any of the log files. The screen just goes
>blank for a second and then I get dumped back to my GNOME desktop. I was
>using 4.3.0-14 without problems. 4.3.0-17 works fine compiled without
>the libGL patch.

Uck.  ;o/

>I compiled the SRPM on my, for the most part, stock RH 9 system. GCC,
>glibc is stock RH 9. I'm still using a "built by ATI" Radeon 7500.

With the libGL patch disabled, you should be able to build the
RPM with stock RHL 9 with no problems.  It builds on RHL 8.0 also
after upgrading a few things like freetype, fontconfig, expat and
others, but without modification of the spec file.

>You mentioned having to possibly upgrade to some packages from Rawhide
>in order to get this to work. Are you referring to GCC and/or glibc?

Only to compile the new package with the libGL patch enabled and
TLS enabled.  If I recall correctly, Jakub said it should work
with rawhide gcc/glibc, and probably should work with Red Hat
Linux 9 with all updates applied, but that it should not work on
a stock Red Hat Linux 9 system.

If your system is completely stock Red Hat Linux 9, try updating
it to current Red Hat Linux 9 updates, and reinstalling 4.3.0-17
with the libGL patch installed.  I have a feeling that if there
isn't a bug in the patch causing this, it is most likely caused
due to a missing dependancy that we're not aware of yet, but if
this is the case, it would be nice to track down what the minimum
versions of everything truely needed is, so I don't have to put
dependancies into the packages that require everything to be
cutting edge rawhide stuff.  I'd like to avoid having
dependancies on cutting edge toolchain et al. as it makes things
difficult to build on stock RHL 8.0 and 9, and also on our Red
Hat Enterprise Linux developmental builds.  I'd prefer to keep X
building everywhere without specfile mods if possible.  I might
be able to twiddle Imake to do this as we determine what the
proper compiler/glibc deps are.

Thanks.

--
Mike A. Harris