X suddenly takes 92 to 95% of CPU load, why?

Hello,

My problem is that all day long once every 20 to 30 minutes I can see
that X (using top system monitor, PID and COMMAND = X) is taking about
92 to 95% of my CPU load when the system idles and I don't know why.

What is going on exactly and is there a way to prevent this from
happening?

For your information : I use Red Hat Linux 9 (but it was doing the same
under Red Hat Linux 8.0). I have a PIV 3GHz, 1GB of DDR-SDRAM and a
Matrox G450.

Thank you for your help.

Optimized