Re: What is this error mean ??

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Sambit Nanda wrote:

>I have other users on /home file system i am able to
>login to those users from X-console from those users
>
>I check the permission, it looks ok, I am not able to
>figure it out what is the problem ??
>
>any idea ??
>

>question 2# How can i find out whether RH 9 is 32 bit
>or 64 bit ??

Red Hat Linux 9 is available for Intel ia32 (x86) and compatible
processors only.  These processors are 32bit and only capable of
running 32bit operating systems.

A 64bit port of Red Hat Linux 9 to the AMD64 processor platform
is also available as an unsupported "technology preview" for free
download on the Red Hat ftp site.  The AMD64 release is named
"GinGin64" and the version number is reported as "8.0.94" or
similar to indicate that it is not an official product release,
and is just to let people experiment with Red Hat Linux on
AMD64.  Just a note that this is a "technology preview" and not a
beta release.  It is a full OS release, but unsupported.

Older Red Hat Linux versions are available for other CPU
architecture types as well.  Red Hat Linux 7.2 for Alpha (64bit)
is available still from Hewlett Packard, and freely downloadable
from the HP ftp/web site.  This Alpha port was done by Red Hat
for HP, and isn't supported directly by Red Hat, but is supported
by HP.  Red Hat Linux 7.1 was also ported to PPC for IBM
pSeries/iSeries platforms (not for Macintosh), and there
is a port to the IBM S/390 mainframe as well.  These are
only available in source code form for download, and may or may
not still be available for purchase through Red Hat and/or IBM.
Red Hat Linux 7.2 is available for the 64bit Intel/HP Itanium
architecture as well.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux, is available for 32bit x86 hardware,
and 64bit ia64 architecture.

The current architectures that have been ported to by Red Hat and
are either supported now by Red Hat directly (either as Red Hat
Linux, or as Red Hat Enterprise Linux), or supported by a partner
such as HP indirectly, include:

x86, ia64, ppc, s390, s390x, alpha, (and the existing but
unsupported 64bit AMD64 technology preview port for the AMD
Opteron processor).

We no longer support the alpha or sparc processor families and
are no longer developing the OS for it, however all of our
current development for both Red Hat Linux, and Red Hat
enterprise Linux is built on the following processor families:

x86(32bit), AMD64(32 and 64bit), ia64(64bit), ppc(32bit),
ppc64(32 and 64bit), s390(31bit), s390x(64bit)

Since a lot of people usually ask, I'll try to answer some
common questions:

- The ppc and ppc64 builds are for IBM pSeries and iSeries server
platforms only.  They are not built for Apple Macintosh, and are
not available for Macintosh.  Yellowdog Linux is a very decent
port of Red Hat Linux to PPC which Mac users should have a look
at if wanting to use Red Hat Linux on Mac.

- The AMD64 port is 64bit native, however you can install the
32bit x86 OS releases on it as well, since it is a fully
compatible 32bit chip.  You can also install 32bit x86 packages
on AMD64 with the 64bit OS to be able to run both 64bit and 32bit
apps simultaneously, however this is experimental and not tested,
so there are likely some surprises lurking which will likely get
fixed when the official products for AMD64 come out in the fall.

I hope this answers your question, as well as questions you
didn't ask yet.  ;o)  Feel free to ask more if I've missed
something.

--
Mike A. Harris