Re: External Video on Thinkpad T30

--- Michael B Allen <mba2000@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 May 2003, Alex Deucher wrote:
> I'm just trying to do plain vanilla analog out although the builtin
> LCD
> is coming on and displaying a picture (sometimes). Switching between
> the
> builtin LCD and external port doesn't quite work right. I have to
> init
> 3 and then type init 5 but not hit return. Then I use FnF7 to switch
> to external and hit return. Ultimately I think X is getting info from
> other sources that is overriding horizsync values at least. I suppose
> it's thinking the builting LCD is primary. I know the hardware can do
> it because it dual boots Win2k and that works.

using fn-f7 uses the bios to switcht the ports, and I don't think it or
X are aware of each other so that is probably messing things up.  If
you want the vga port to be primary add the option "MonitorLayout"
"CRT, LVDS" to you xf86config file.  that will tell the board to use
the crt port with he primary crtc (normally on notebooks, the primary
crtc drives the LCD panel).

> Can I even do analog out and use the builtin display dual head? That
> would be sweet. Is there a doc on that?

Yeah, you have two options.  you can use xinerama and specify two
separate screen, device, and monitor sections in your XF86Config and
create a screenlayout with both heads.  see this example:
http://eight.dhs.org/files/XF86Config-4.xinerama

the other option is mergedfb, which rather than have two separate
framebuffers and viewports connected using xinerama, creates one large
framebuffer with two viewports looking into it.  this allow things like
DRI to work on both heads.
http://www.botchco.com/alex/radeon/mergedfb/

> The strange thing is I *think* I had this working before with X 4.2.
> upgraded to 4.3 from rawhide source to try and get DVI to work better
> which it did but still I couldn't get rid of some distortion.

You might have.  the options for the radeon driver have changed alot
between 4.2.0 -> 4.3.0 -> current cvs/rawhide.  In the past you had to
specify option "crtscreen" to force the vga port I think.  current CVS
uses the monitorlayout option to change how your heads are configured.

Alex