Should I845 chipset support accelerated 3D?

For some reason I thought that a machine with an I845 chipset should
have hardware accelerated 3D, but mine don't seem to support it (with
a stock Red Hat 9 installation and XFree packages updated to 4.3.0-6).

Before I spend time trying to figure out why, could someone fill me in
on what's expected to work with this chipset?  I know AGP memory
allocation is working (X allocates 32MB of RAM) and DRI seems to load,
but 3D is slow and redhat-config-xfree86 greys out the "enable
hardware acceleration" checkbox.

Thanks,
--
  Jason L Tibbitts III - tibbs@xxxxxxxxxxx - 713/743-3486 - 660PGH - 94 PC800
       System Manager:  University of Houston Department of Mathematics