Re:Re: How turn off antialiasing? Gnome problem?

Hi Scott,

  I agree, the Anti-Aliasing should be turned off until
they get the interoperability/bugs worked out.

I use RedHat 7.2 (on one computer, anyway)

I spent 12 hours hunting down where XFree86 4.3.0 had
blown away my gnome-session, as well as trying to figure out
how to turn off the anti-aliasing. In gnome, in nautilus,
Preferences->Intermediate
Preferences->Edit Prefrences->Appearance-> uncheck "use smoother (but slower) graphics"

  I added the following near the bottom of
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf

<match target="font">
  <edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
      <bool>false</bool>
  </edit>
</match>

I put the following in /etc/X11/XftConfig
match
  any size < 48
  any size > 1
  edit antialias=false;

to just turn it all off. So many things got so badly hosed with the anti - aliasing, I just don't want it until I've seen enough discussion about how to make it *work*.

I also had to remove the contents of /etc/X11/xsm/system.xsm
and replace it with the single entry:
gnome-session

I hope this helps anyone else who gets stuck with either their gnome-session disappearing, or their fonts blowing up...

Stuart