Re: Radeon 7500 M config questions

--- Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Alex Deucher wrote:
>

> > --- Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I have a couple of questions regarding my Dell Latitude C640 with
> the
> > > above video system.  I looked at XFree86.org, but I couldn't find
> > > clear
> > > answers.
> > >
> > > (1) Can the panel display multiple resolutions?  If so, what
> needs to
> > > be
> > > in XF86Config to enable that and what hot keys change the
> resolution?
> >
> > Yes.  You just need to add the modes to the screen section of your
> > XF86Config.  Ctrl-alt-+/- scrolls through the modes.
>
> Ctrl-Alt-+/- just beeps.
>
> My XF86Config file is included below (as configured by
> redhat-config-xfree86).  The screen section shows three modes, but
> the
> only one I can get is 1024x768.

hmmm...that's odd...perhaps the LCD only supports one mode, although, I
was under the impression the RMX unit on the radeon would scale other
resolutions up to the resolution of the LCD...Works on my m6.

> > > (2) When I plug in an external monitor, it displays the same
> image as
> > > the
> > > panel, but even though the panel is 1024x768, the external
> monitor
> > > seems
> > > to be displaying a much lower resolution.  How can I configure
> the
> > > external monitor for 1024x768 or to match the panel resolution?
> >
> > I think by default the first crtc outputs the same mode to both
> heads.
> > if you want to use a different mode on the CRT, use the mirror
> option
> > in your config file.  See the radeon man page for more info about
> > radeon driver options.
>
> This problem seems intermittent, so I need to experiment some more.
> attached a projector at work, and it displayed 800x600 or 640x480,
> even
> though the panel is stuck in 1024x768.  Ctrl-Alt-+/- had no effect on
> either display.  But when I got home and tried it with a spare
> monitor,
> both panel and monitor showed 1024x768.  Ctrl-Alt-+/- still had no
> effect.

check the radeon man page.  you want the clone option.  it will clone
your desktop in a differnt mode that the LCD is running since it uses
the second crtc.  you can specify a different resolution and refresh
rate.

> > > (3) Can I enable switching the external display and panel on and
> off
> > > using
> > > Fn-F8?
> >
> > Not sure.  that is BIOS dependant as far as I know.
>
> Fn-F8 no-op was another symptom that occurred with the projector but
> not
> the monitor.

I'm not really sure the radeon driver knows how to deal with BIOS
functions.  In theory those keys could leave the hardware in an unknown
state since they might make changes that the driver doesn't know about
and vice versa.  I wouldn't rely on it to work.