Re: Radeon 7500 M config questions

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Alex Deucher wrote:

> --- Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have a couple of questions regarding my Dell Latitude C640 with the
> > above video system.  I looked at XFree86.org, but I couldn't find
> > clear
> > answers.
> >
> > (1) Can the panel display multiple resolutions?  If so, what needs to
> > be
> > in XF86Config to enable that and what hot keys change the resolution?
>
> Yes.  You just need to add the modes to the screen section of your
> XF86Config.  Ctrl-alt-+/- scrolls through the modes.

Ctrl-Alt-+/- just beeps.

My XF86Config file is included below (as configured by
redhat-config-xfree86).  The screen section shows three modes, but the
only one I can get is 1024x768.

> > (2) When I plug in an external monitor, it displays the same image as
> > the
> > panel, but even though the panel is 1024x768, the external monitor
> > seems
> > to be displaying a much lower resolution.  How can I configure the
> > external monitor for 1024x768 or to match the panel resolution?
>
> I think by default the first crtc outputs the same mode to both heads.
> if you want to use a different mode on the CRT, use the mirror option
> in your config file.  See the radeon man page for more info about
> radeon driver options.

This problem seems intermittent, so I need to experiment some more.  I
attached a projector at work, and it displayed 800x600 or 640x480, even
though the panel is stuck in 1024x768.  Ctrl-Alt-+/- had no effect on
either display.  But when I got home and tried it with a spare monitor,
both panel and monitor showed 1024x768.  Ctrl-Alt-+/- still had no effect.

> > (3) Can I enable switching the external display and panel on and off
> > using
> > Fn-F8?
>
> Not sure.  that is BIOS dependant as far as I know.

Fn-F8 no-op was another symptom that occurred with the projector but not
the monitor.

> > (4) Can the external monitor be used in multi-head mode?  (I gather
> > the
> > answer to this question has been no.)
>
> Yes.  you will have to specifiy a separate "device" and "screen"
> section for each head and then in the "device" sections use "screen 0"
> for the first head and "screen 1" for the second.  See the XF86Config
> man page for more info on setting this up.

I will see what I can do with this.

My XF86Config:
# XFree86 4 configuration created by redhat-config-xfree86

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "Default Layout"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice    "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

Section "Files"
	RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
	FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "fbdevhw"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "freetype"
	Load  "type1"
	Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "keyboard"
	Option	    "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
	Option	    "XkbRules" "xfree86"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "PS/2"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/psaux"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "DevInputMice"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName    "Dell 1024x768 Laptop Display Panel"
	DisplaySize  285	215
	HorizSync    31.5 - 48.5
	VertRefresh  59.0 - 75.0
	Option	    "dpms"