Re: Re:Xinerama problem

On 29 Apr 2003, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>> >Xinerama had problems under XFree86 4.2 though.  It would hang apps like
>> >red-carpet and I noticed other strange problems.  I'm hoping the
>> >implementation under XFree86 4.3 works better (although I'd still trade
>> >a working dual-head for Xinerama at the moment :).
>>
>> If red-carpet hangs, then it is a Red Carpet bug most likely.
>> Not all applications are Xinerama friendly or aware.  Your best
>> bet if having any problems with any application under Xinerama,
>> is to report the problem to the application author.
>
>I did that but unfortunately, Ximian pointed the finger at Xinerama and
>closed the issue. :(

These types of problems are difficult to track down what the
problem is, and they're on the lower end of the priority scale.
When an application is believed likely to be the problem, there's
less incentive to consider investigating the X server, in
particular considering the complexity of debugging involved.

It's possible that it could be a Xinerama issue however.  Someone
would have to debug/troubleshoot it to that point at least.
Preferably with a simple application or test case.