mouse freezes as soon as the X server starts

RH7.3, XFree86-4.2.0-8

Recently upgraded from PIII to P4, switching from an Intel (i815
based) mobo to an AOpen one (SiS650 chipset, Winbond Multi I/O). Most
the other hardware is the same, including the mouse and video card
(nVidia GeForce2). X worked flawlessly with the PIII, but with the P4,
most of the time the mouse is frozen as soon as the X server
starts. Sometimes restarting just the X server (Ctrl-Alt-BS) is enough
to get it working, sometimes a reboot is required, often many reboots
are required, sometimes with a real 'power-off-at-wall'. Mouse is a
PS2 wheel mouse (also by AOpen) which works every time with gpm. If I
boot to runlevel 3, gpm works. Then I use startx, mouse freezes. Quit
X, gpm works again. /dev/mouse is a symlink to /dev/psaux, I've tried
explicitly stopping gpm before starting the server, no change. I tried
using both the XFree86 nVidia driver and nVidia's own, no
change. Previously I had set the mouse protocol as 'imps/2', I tried
using 'auto' as the mouse protocol instead, doesn't seem to make much
difference. I also tried using the 'repeater' mode of gpm which also
doesn't help. Nothing in the logfiles.

On the rare occasion the mouse does work, it works
flawlessly. Needless to say, rebooting to windows, the mouse works
perfectly every time. :-(

Any suggestions?

Simon
--
Simon Greaves            Voice: +679 3212114
Systems & Networks       Fax:   +679 3304089