Re: RH 9.0 - XFree86 4.3.0 - is this right?

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 04:22:47AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>    To be clear, I am told that the patches for low-latency and the
> patches for preemption do not apply cleanly to the Redhat kernel. If
> this is not true, or if they have already been applied but none of
> us know it, please let me know. I'd be very interested in just
> being able to use the stock Redhat kernel without dealing with all
> this stuff myself. It's not my strength at all.

The low latency patches are already applied (well the non-defective parts
of it, a small subset of the lowlat patch had bugs).
The preemption patches are not applied, because they are defective for 2.4
kernels. It's not safe to ship them simply because too much code
in 2.4 kernels depends on the principles
that the preempt patch changes and doesnt' get fixed by this
patch. DRM happens to be an example of such code fwiw ;)

Greetings,
    Arjan van de Ven