Redhat 8.0 XWindows problem

I installed Redhat 8.0 on my Fujitsu Lifebook 755Tx.
Everything works great, except I have a problem with
XWindows. The background for some applications just
isn't there, but if I move the mouse of the area, it
appears. For example, if I click on the start button
(or redhat button), the menu pops up fine, but some of
the sub menus are missing the background (it's just
white). If I move the mouse over them, they appear
(turn grey). If I start a program, the tool bar isn't
colored, and you can't see the buttons. You can see
the words, but it's just all white. If I move the
mouse over the button, the highlighting appears.
Redhat auto-probed my video card as Trident, and I
manually put in that I have a generic flat panel
screen at 1024x768, as this is the setting that worked
best under Mandrake. Any ideas?