Re: xfree86 crashes

Mike A. Harris wrote:

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, Thomas Dodd wrote:

Red Hat's tool don't configure multiple depth like that. Something I've complained about even. So that's not the Red Hat tool.
I also notice tha no modes are defined for any depths, and no DefaultDepth is defined.

Our tool should configure 8/16/24 bit depths all at once. If it
doesn't still (I'd have to check the latest version), count me in
on getting it to do so. All other depths are irrelevant as far

From the 8.0.93 beta: redhat-config-xfree86-0.7.2-2
first line reads
#XFree86 4 configuration created by pyxf86config

Only 24bpp was configured, but I did get 3 resolutions:)

hand if need be. I only see 8/16/24 bit depths as something sanely supported, and even then 8 bit depth is also considered legacy.

I still use 8 bit sometimes for stupid apps running on Solaris. They Don't support the visual from XFree86@24bpp.
That whole StaticColor/PsuedoColor/TrueColor thing. Our Sparcs support multiple visuals and 24bpp+8bpp depths.

Youre Conifg file is bad. Run redhat-config-xfree86 to get a same config file.

Typo there.. you mean "sane". ;o) I agree with you though.

Oops. perhaps the 'm' and 'n' keys should be farther apart:)

   -Thomas