X and SiS6326

Hi!
Recently I installed redhat 8.0 on my system. I am facing a problem with graphical interface. I have tried switching between Gnome and Kde. This does not give a solution. The graphical session hangs in all cases. During my experimentation, I have also found that the problem is eliminated if I use 256 colors (8bpp). However, I would like to have atleast 16bpp color depth. Is there any expert out there who could shed some light on this strange behaviour of 'X'. My relevant system details :

Display card : SiS6326 AGP
Monitor : LG Studioworks520Si

I would be more than happy to provide more information, if somebody is willing to help me out with this.

Good day,
Manoj