Re: XFree86 4.2.0, ATI 128 DRM, GLX on RedHat 8.0: Unresolved symbolsat startup

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Thomas Dodd wrote:

>>This bug tells me that barely anyone uses Rage 128 DRI, since the
>>bug is in all released versions of XFree86 4.2.0 and 4.2.1, and
>>nobody reported the bug until now, over a full year after the
>>release of XFree86 4.2.0.
>>

>Why would I not have seen this then? I ran the stock XFree86 on my Red
>Hat system, with r128 cards but don't remember ever seeing this. I don't
>play a lot of games, and the r128 is too slow for most, but I do use the
>GL screensavers, and the speed -fps reports is not software rendering
>based on past experience with SW-GL on the same system.
>
>So my boxes have never shown me that error, not in the prerelease RPMs
>you did for XF86-4.2, the released RPMs, nor in the current XF86-4.3
>prereleases. The Athlon was normally running a Red Hat kernel, and the
>K6-III was usually build form the athlon config with just the CPU
>changed (and what ever else that change causes in menuconfig).
>
>So I'm confused as to why I never saw it.

Actually, the problem isn't DRI not working, but rather the X
server not working without DRI.  With the DRI module loaded, the
modules work fine.  If it isn't loaded, then the symbols wont
resolve.  I misunderstood what the person who originally reported
the problem was trying to say, however the bug fix is the same
nonetheless, adding missing symbols to the symbol lists.

The patch fixes that.