XFree partly locks up (or 99% unavailable)

Hi,

My box has an Athlon 1.3G, 512MB RAM, nForce4 ti4200.

I installed RH 8.0 stock and nvidia's latest driver. It worked
great. Added dual monitor support, worked great.

Over time I upgraded kernels from 2.4.18-14 through -19-8 seemingly
fine. Then with the latest 24-8 kernel XFree said it could not find
a screen. Complaining about not finding a library file. So I rolled
back to boot -19-8.

Otherwise it's run without a hickup since Dec.

A while ago I found X locking up a few times but associated it with
a possibly not fully inserted ps/2 plug.

But now I've had the lockup occur twice more. The screen locks up
and stops responding to keyboard though the mouse will still move.
Running top shows X is using 99%CPU. My only option is to ssh in
remotely and kill X.

This is the only oddity in my logfiles (Xfree and messages):
insmod: Warning: loading
/lib/modules/2.4.18-19.8.0/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o will taint
the kernel: non-GPL license - NVIDIA

(I do see a sysctl: vm.overcommit_memory = 1 and by glancing into
the kernel list I can see that it means it pretends there is enough
memory... Over my head here, but that does sound a bit odd.)
--

Steve Szmidt