Re: Xfree86 Crashes and loses its setup

On 11 Feb 2003, Jim Hayward wrote:

>> and the card 'ATI rage 128'
>> (it's an Xpert 2000 pro).
>
>If you look at your /etc/X11/XF86Config you should be using the "ati"
>driver.

Wrong.  Rage 128 hardware uses the "r128" driver.  The "ati"
driver isn't actually a driver at all, it is a wrapper around the
3 ATI hardware drivers "atimisc", "r128" and "radeon".  The "ati"
module doesn't actually drive anything, it merely attempts to
autodetect what card you really do have, and then proxy to the
correct driver - in this case, the "r128" driver.  It is always
best to manually specify the _correct_ driver however, as the
autodetection may not always work properly, so it isn't good to
rely on it.

>Might also try Mike's stable testing RPM's. They work great for me, but
>I have a radeon not a Rage 128.
>
>ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing/8.0/XFree86/4.2.1-11

It won't hurt to use 4.2.1-11 of course, but 4.2.0-72 as supplied
with Red Hat Linux 8.0 should work on this hardware.  If it
isn't, it is most likely misconfigured, or some other problem.

I wonder if he's using the Red hat kernel, or a homebrew
jobbie...