Re: The end of the story (was Re: The i830 saga)

Mike A. Harris wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Rigault, Philippe wrote:

I respect the fact that it is up to RedHat to decide whether
this bug warrants by itself an XFree86 update for 7.3 and 8.0,
but I strongly support that updated XFree86 packages should be
released to address this issue (maybe wait until XFree86 4.3.0
is out), given that Dell hardware is de facto common hardware
and regular RedHat users expect some support for it.

Well that isn't going to happen for multiple reasons:

3) Releasing XFree86 4.3.0 for prior versions of Red Hat Linux
I wonder about this MIke. Since I'm using you 4.2.99 packages, rebuilt, on and RHL-8.0 system.
I DO understand it can ever be an official, supported release, but what about an unfficial, unsupported one?
Something only on people.redhat.com?
I remember you went to a lot of trouble making specfile options to allow building on older releases. Perhaps a _short_ text file and a replacement spec file, so RHL-7.3 could get it working?
You know the innards of that spec file, and what would need changed better than anyone. It would probably only take 15-30 minutes to write the instructions and change the file. If you can't, I guess someone on the list could. Perhaps a RHL-7.3 user can get XFree86-4.3.0 (when released) in a usable state added to freshrpms.net. Still some pointers/help from you would be great.

Many major changes happen in XFree86 each XFree86 release that require many libraries such as freetype, fontconfig, and others to be upgraded also in order to update a prior OS release to a new XFree86 release. The amount of engineering work needed to do that, is about 30 times the work _minimum_ of Joe Blow(TM) downloading the RPM package and ad-hoc rebuilding it for the older OS. Joe Blow doesn't have to test 90000 video cards out with the OS on multiple architectures, fix new problems that
Exactly the reason to have an unsupported form. even a source only release, or packages on a non Red Hat site like freshrpms.net. Joe Blow only wants it for his sytem, especially the i830 users. Anything that _might_ work is better than the current state.

for that matter. Also, a XFree86 release comes along with a forced kernel upgrade for new DRM modules required for proper DRI functionality to work.

If the proper DRM sources were in the XFree86 SRPM, instead of the official XFree86 ones, it's a simple build. The XFree86 tree supports building outside the kernel tree, but is never up to date. Could is be copied/linked to the XFree86 build root (/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/XFree86/linux_drm ?) and patched during the prep stage?

I updated Red hat Linux 7.1 from 4.0.3 to 4.1.0 with erratum
before, and with that update we got very lucky. There was a fair
number of dependancy requirements that had to be released also
(Xconfigurator, freetype, etc...), but compatibility was quite

The X config tools don't need to know anything here. This is for users that can manage to edit XF86Config by hand, for specific problems.

P.S. If about 50 of you volunteer to help out by debugging issues
reported against XFree86 in bugzilla, and attaching patches,
perhaps I can work on releasing 4.2.1 for 7.3 before 2004.

Got a link to the bugs? For what ever reason, my searches don't work.
Then again, XFree86-4.2.99.3-20030115.0 is working great here :)

   -Thomas