Re: The i830 saga - Fixed in RH 9?

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Tellurye wrote:

>Excellent words!!  Although I confirmed with both Intel and Dell before I
>bought the Inspiron 2600, and they stated the bug has been fixed, I bought
>it and had the issues everyone was having.  Dell conveniently forgot to
>mention that the bug may not work on all of their laptops, and
>unfortuneately, I got one of those.

While they may have confirmed that it was fixed, they did not
confirm to you that it was fixed in highly developmental i810
driver which is incompatible with XFree86 4.2.[01] from XFree86
CVS, and they did not tell you that that would not be officially
released to the public until late January (now bumped to February
or later possibly by XFree86.org) I presume.

So while they "fixed" it, their fix is not in a stable release of
XFree86 yet, and not in any released open source operating system
product yet.

>You mentioned RH will fix this in the next release.  When will it be out /
>What will it be called?

Red Hat does not preannounce version numbers, names, or release
dates.  If you would like to test-drive the fix, install our
latest beta release (phoebe).

>Issues like this make it very hard to spread the word on Linux.
>I want to learn it so bad..yet have a hard time finding a
>machine that it will run / install on, without knowing C.

The problem is that this is not the OS vendor, be it Red Hat, or
anyone else's responsibility.  We do our best effort to support
the hardware that has open source drivers.  We, like all other
open source Linux distributions, and other OSs, rely on the
XFree86 community to put out a stable release, and to maintain
it.  We merely do our part in the open source community by
troubleshooting and fixing problems also, and contributing them
back to the community.

There is ample work to be done on XFree86 that could keep 50
engineers busy with endless 60 hour weeks of work fixing bugs in
XFree86, backporting releases, adding new features if one had
that kind of resources to put into it.  One doesn't.

It is the hardware vendor who wants people to purchase their
hardware, who has the responsibility to write drivers, or to pay
someone else to write drivers for their hardware, and to fix the
drivers or pay someone to fix the drivers when it does not work
for their hardware customers.  Or, at a minimum, to provide the
open source community with the technical specifications they need
to write drivers.  Volunteers however - will only spend as much
of their time and effort as they feel like doing at any given
time.

One must also consider:  How much did you pay for your OS?  How
much do other alternatives cost and how well do they fit the
needs of the problems you are trying to solve?  If Linux isn't
the best solution for the problem at hand, or can not meet your
needs at the time being, then selet another tool to do the job
that can is the sensible thing to do.

When there are market forces out there that generate the amount
of interest in Linux, and the number of users paying money for
Linux - be they corporate, technical, developers, or end uses, or
some other category, if those groups of paying customers generate
the amount of revenue it would take to make things like XFree86
video drivers all work completely stable out of the box on all
hardware relatively well, and to convince hardware vendors to
release specifications, etc. - then it might be possible that
drivers "just exist" when hardware products are released onto the
market - like is done in Windows right now.

Until then however - if somethings broken, report bugs somewhere
- in Red Hat bugzilla, on xfree86@xfree86.org, to other
developers, etc.  Some bugs will get fixed, some wont.  There
simply aren't enough people developing XFree86 in the community
to handle all issues that come up with it, including all open
source OS vendors combined.