Re:Re: The i830 saga

>This workaround for the BIOS bug will be officially part of the
>next Red Hat Linux release. There are no plans to backport the
>new driver to Red Hat Linux 8.0 as that would entail a rather
>large amount of development engineering for what is not even an
>XFree86 bug, but is a hardware bug.

So the conclusion is:

1. It is a serious bug (laptops with i830 are plain unusable with X for regular users).
2. It can be fixed in software (it really is a hardware bug, actually BIOS, but it does not matter since Dell has apparently no intention to fix it and Windows drivers already workaround this in software).
3. RedHat will fix the bug for the next version of RedHat Linux (good news here)
4. RedHat will not fix the bug for current (and officially supported) RH releases.

I respect the fact that it is up to RedHat to decide whether this bug warrants by itself an XFree86 update for 7.3 and 8.0, but I strongly support that updated XFree86 packages should be released to address this issue (maybe wait until XFree86 4.3.0 is out), given that Dell hardware is de facto common hardware and regular RedHat users expect some support for it.
It may also send a very bad message by appearing as a veiled 'forced upgrade' policy.

I have pesonally no problem with upgrading and testing the latest stuff when time allows, and always had very good experiences of RedHat on Dell laptops so far. But I have been frustrated all along by this i830 fiasco (on a Dell inspiron 2600 with RH 8.0) and had to resort to a commercial (xig) X server, since Mike's RPMs did not work in my case.

Best regards,

--
Philippe Rigault