Re: questions on PseudoColor 8-bit support on 4.2.0

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Wojciech BIALAS wrote:

>To test what is the origin of the problem I have
>tried verious Xserver  configs (always 8 bbp ) .
>with simplest WM : fvwm2 (or even twm) configured to
>'use' as low colors as possible.
>
>On application side (on Solaris) I have carefuly set
>options to 'be nice to colormap' .
>I have tested that on Sun stations displays that
>can do ONLY 8 bit plane , the application + WM (fvwm2)
>behavles OK .
>
>I have tested this problem on various Linux boxes RH 7.1,7.2,7.3 and
>Slackware 8.0 with
>different graphics hardware. Manualy starting 'X" and twm or fvwm2
>with simplest cfg and my conclusion is :
>
>1) if Xfree86 is =< 4.1.0 , there is no problem at all.
>
>2) the problem can by easly reproduced with Xfree86 4.2.0
>and quite common tool like 'xfig' while in 8 bpp mode
>(even with 'twm' WM ). Even if I tell 'xfig' to use limited
>number of colors. Forcing 'xfig' to not install private colormap
>ends with program in 'failsafe' monochrome mode...
>
>3) Looks like colormap entries 'are grabbed' at the moment of
>WM (even twm) invocation.
>
>My questions are :
>
>1) Does anyone have seen this problem before ?
>   If yes then : WHAT IS THE CURE (if any..) ?

Yes.  This is due to the RENDER extension using the colormap
aggressively.  Unfortunately, RENDER can not be disabled, nor
controlled to limit the colormap usage in XFree86 4.2.0

XFree86 4.3.0 when released, will have mechanisms to control
RENDER's colormap usage.

>2) Can it be related with lack of PEX support in 4.2.0 ?

No.  PEX is an ancient 3D programming API superceded by OpenGL.
No applications use PEX for many many years.

>3) If I want to go for '8+24' option what hardware (ATI or Matrox ?)
>should I buy and how can I enable that mode ?  (the XFree86
>documantation is weak here...)

I've not personally used overlay, however it is supported on
various hardware.  I don't have the precice config file voodoo at
hand right now, so you might wish to ask on xpert@xfree86.org for
more details.

Hope this helps.
TTYL