questions on PseudoColor 8-bit support on 4.2.0

Hello All,

First, I would like to appologize to all of you
if this question was already brought up.
Unfortunately, search engine for some reasons
did not work.

I work with Cadence Design IC package on Solaris 7 (and 8)
while having display on my RH7.3 box . This application
for historical reasons is requireing pseudocolor 8plane visual.

Since, support of 8+24 on xfree86 is limited to some ATI and
Matrox cards , I am forced to use '-depth 8' . Display
looks crappy , but can live with it.

Recently I have upgraded from RH7.2 (X-> 4.1.0) to
RH7.3 (X->4.2.0). From that point I can not prevent my
application from colormap flashing.

To test what is the origin of the problem I have
tried verious Xserver  configs (always 8 bbp ) .
with simplest WM : fvwm2 (or even twm) configured to
'use' as low colors as possible.

On application side (on Solaris) I have carefuly set
options to 'be nice to colormap' .
I have tested that on Sun stations displays that
can do ONLY 8 bit plane , the application + WM (fvwm2)
behavles OK .

I have tested this problem on various Linux boxes RH 7.1,7.2,7.3 and
Slackware 8.0 with
different graphics hardware. Manualy starting 'X" and twm or fvwm2
with simplest cfg and my conclusion is :

1) if Xfree86 is =< 4.1.0 , there is no problem at all.

2) the problem can by easly reproduced with Xfree86 4.2.0
and quite common tool like 'xfig' while in 8 bpp mode
(even with 'twm' WM ). Even if I tell 'xfig' to use limited
number of colors. Forcing 'xfig' to not install private colormap
ends with program in 'failsafe' monochrome mode...

3) Looks like colormap entries 'are grabbed' at the moment of
WM (even twm) invocation.

My questions are :

1) Does anyone have seen this problem before ?
   If yes then : WHAT IS THE CURE (if any..) ?

2) Can it be related with lack of PEX support in 4.2.0 ?

3) If I want to go for '8+24' option what hardware (ATI or Matrox ?)
should I buy and how can I enable that mode ?  (the XFree86
documantation is weak here...)

thanks in advance for your help , Wojciech

dr. Wojciech BIALAS ,
CERN, Geneva <Wojciech.Bialas@cern.ch>