Re: PLEASE HELP!!!! i830 graphics problems

What up, Larry!

Yeah, Dell sux in this area.  I even researched and was assured by both Intel and Dell that it would work, but as you pointed out, the video RAM is hardcoded in the BIOS.  This explains why Windows 98/2K/XP work cause they are able too use software to allocate ALL the video memory, but Linux/Unix can't unless you tell it to in the code.  Intel and Dell won't fix the issue, and they point fingers.  I run RH 7.3 Personal, and they support the i830 card, but not additional memory.  The only fix I know to date is they made a driver for this issue.  www.xig.com has what they call a Summit driver, you can download the demo, run it for as long as you want..for only 25 minutes at a time.  Purchasing it will remove the time limit.  This is cool because you can try before you buy.  Ranges from $69 to $250, depending on what you are looking for (2D, 3D, CAD, Games)

Now, I hear the newest version of XFree86 has better i830 support.  Anyone know if this addresses the issue or not?  I read some postings of some people having trouble with the release, but have no idea if its related to the i830 series or not.  If anyone has additional info, that would be great.

Hope that helps, Larry.

Rye

Ryan Stevens, CISSP

Phoenix Sector
Computer Crime Investigations / Data Recovery / Internet Security