Re: PLEASE HELP!!!! i830 graphics problems

LM> I am a newbie to UNIX and LINUX. and I need help in getting my
LM> Latitude c400's graphics to work correctly.

I've set up a couple of c400 machines running Red Hat 8.0 plus
hand-compiled XFree from CVS and everything works fine.  Two things to
note:

The default kernel with RH8 will die when coming back from a suspend;
the update kernels (or a 586 kernel) will fix this.  There's no
special patch to install; just get the packages and run "rpm -i" on
them, or let up2date do it for you.

The development XFree packages available from Mike Harris (see the list
archives) should make installing updated XFree significantly easier
than building it by hand.  All you should need to do is download all
of these packages and run "rpm -F" on them.  Of course, they're
experimental development packages so they may be busted but if they
work they're the simplest way to get this going.

These development versions of XFree completely fix the issues with the
stolen memory being locked at 1MB on the Dell machines.

 - J<