Re: ATI releases Linux drivers

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Dave Reed wrote:

>Yes, I made certain my Radeon 7500 was "built by ATI" when I
>bought it.  Does anyone know if the open source developers plan
>to continue developing drivers for the new cards even those
>these binary drivers will be out there?

Do open source developers develop open source kernel drivers even
though binary only kernel drivers may be available for the given
hardware?  Yes, of course.  Why?  Because of the benefits that
open source provides.

>Is ATI at least still releasing specs for their new cards so
>drivers can be written (that's the reason I switched from NVidia
>to ATI - I want to be able to upgrade my machine to the newer
>Red Hat versions w/o worrying about the driver not working with
>them).

I have not personally contacted ATI to get their latest specs for
the 9x00 boards yet - mostly because I haven't needed the specs
yet.  I generally do not acquire docs for stuff until I need it,
so I can't answer that question.  My assumption is that docs are
available as they always have been in the past.

>If open source drivers are being written, I can be assured that
>evenutally I can make that upgrade w/o losing the use of my
>graphics card.

It is impossible for anyone to answer that question.  Until
something exists, anything is nothing more than speculation.

>If they're still releasing the specs and people are still
>writing the drivers, I can live with buying a new card from ATI,
>but if they've quit releasing their specs or there are no plans
>for open source drivers, then there's no "moral" reason to buy
>ATI and I'd look more closely at price, performance, etc. of ATI
>vs. NVidia.

ATI has not stopped supporting the open source community, and I
see no reason why they would stop doing so.  As I mentioned in a
previous email, ATI contributed 2 large patches to XFree86.org
this week (I receive all patch submissions automatically)
implementing improved support, support for new hardware, and
numerous other things.

The biggest problem open source faces, is that 3D drivers are
large, complex beasts, and take a LOT of time to develop.
Writing 3D drivers requires a large range of skills, and
understanding of kernel device driver programming, 3D hardware,
OpenGL, Mesa, as well as XFree86 itself, and of 2D driver
authoring.  It is a large complex task, and takes a lot of
dedicated time and effort to complete a driver.  Anyone doing
this on their spare time as a volunteer, is likely to take quite
a long time to do it, and adding more developers only helps to a
certain degree.  (See Brooks law).  Most of the work is work that
needs to be completed serially, and so it doesn't lend well to
parallel development by many people.  As such, it makes sense if
an open source project to support a given card is started 6-8
months *after* the card hits the market, and is done by unfunded
volunteers who have a real fulltime job doing something else, it
is going to take a long time until we see support.

And for the case of one of the vendors open sourcing their
drivers, they have different reasons for not doing so, some are
quite valid, and others are less valid.

Some reasons a given random hardware (of any hardware) or
software vendor might not open source their code:

1) It may contain code they've licensed from some other company,
   and they may not have the right to open source it.  Or it
   might contain patented algorithms, etc. that they have
   licenced from some other company and do not have the right to
   redistribute the soource.

2) It may possibly contain patented intellectual property
   that they own, or even unpatented techniques, trade
   secrets, etc. and they do not want their competition to
   learn how it works, and then improve their own drivers.

3) When a company open sources a driver, or any source code at
   all for that matter, they now run the risk that they may have
   infringed some patent UNKNOWINGLY in the code, and nobody ever
   knew, neither them, nor the person who's patent they might
   have infringed upon.  An example being 2 completely different
   companies both inventing the same idea independantly without
   knowing it, and one of them patenting it.  If the source code
   is released, the owner of the patent might end up reading the
   code and finding their patent used and suing the other
   company - even though no patent was knowingly violated by the
   other party.  This is a very very SAD state of the patent
   system, but it is a fact of life.

4) It is possible that a vendor has knowingly and purposefully
   infringed upon some patent, and simply does not want anyone to
   know abut it, as they could get sued.  They simply wont ever
   release their code period.

5) Their source code might be extremely hideous spagetti, and
   releasing it could be a major embarassment to them, in
   particular if paying customers see it.  This could be a major
   black eye to the company for trying to do something good.

6) Their code might do really really evil kernel hacks that
   sacrifice stability for speed, or other nastiness, and they
   do not want anyone to know about.

7) Their code might violate the DMCA if open sourced (think of
   disabling copy protection on your TVout).

There are many other possible reasons.  I'm not trying to play
devils advocate or anything, or justify why a company might not
want to release their code as open source.  I'm just trying to
illustrate some of the reasons why a given company might decide
not to open source.

In the end, before a company open sources something, they are
going to want to see what THEY get out of it.  How does it
benefit THEM, and their STOCKHOLDERS(TM).  One could argue that
by open sourcing one's drivers, the competition might be able to
improve their own closed drivers, and that could possibly affect
sales, and thus their stock price.

So, it is not always a simple decision for a company to make on
open sourcing their stuff.  Do I personally want to see open
source drivers?  You bet!  And I like many, want to see open
source drivers, software, etc. regardless of all the other
things, however - I do understand that a company may have some
very good reasons for not doing so, and ultimately - they don't
_owe_ us anything.  It is up to us, the open source community, to
both convince hardware vendors that open sourcing their drivers
is good, and to show them how THEY will benefit.  We can show
them how WE benefit, but should they care?  If we show them how
THEY benefit, and allay any fears they may have, then it might be
possible.  However, the above points on patents ALWAYS will get
in the way, as long as the United States, and some other
countries have the stupid patent system and allow software
patents to exist.

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer