Re: ATI releases Linux drivers

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Dave Reed wrote:

>http://mirror.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2002/4574.html
>
>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6345
>
>I couldn't find source code - does anyone know if they plan to release
>the source code for their drivers?

The above drivers are ATI's proprietary drivers for XFree86.
Originally, ATI produced proprietary drivers for their FireGL
hardware.  When the FireGL 8800 came out, they produced
proprietary drivers for that as well.  These are very high end
boards that are very expensive, and not mainstream.    At some
point ATI decided that they would also tweak the drivers to work
with the Radeon 8500 as well, since it is for the most part just
a slower version of the FireGL 8800.

While ATI was in the testing phase of testing the 8500 out with
the FireGL drivers, someone else found out that the drivers
worked with the 8500 too, and people posted to various lists that
the FireGL drivers magically worked with the 8500 (like they were
pulling one over on ATI, when in reality, ATI purposefully was
working on supporting the 8500, but just hadn't announced it
officially yet).

Recently, ATI made an official announcement of Radeon 8500
support in their drivers, and this latest announcement is just a
newer driver version which also supports their newer Radeon 9x00
hardware as well.

These drivers are closed source, and most likely will remain that
way, as they are merely provided to people mostly due to lots of
people requesting it.

ATI does however support open source as well, and contributes new
open source 2D driver support for all of their new hardware to
the XFree86 project very frequently.  They also help developers
such as myself, the DRI project, XFree86, GATOS and others by
providing documentation to certain individuals, and in some cases
providing sample hardware for open source development.

ATI just sent patches to XFree86.org this week for example to add
support for the Radeon 9500 chips, and fix many bugs, improve
monitor detection and many other things.

The DRI project is currently in the midst of completing open
source Radeon 8500 3D support as well.  This open source
development would not have been possible without the help of ATI
providing documentation, etc. to the DRI project.

There is currently to my knowledge no project underway to
implement open source support for Radeon 9x00 hardware, however
it could be that it is being started quietly (as the 8500 support
was), or it might be something that occurs sometime down the
road.  In general, open source support for new hardware like this
is kept quiet until it reaches the state where it is remotely
ready to be seen by the unwashed masses.  Most developers I
believe by now know if they acknowledge they are working on
something, that they will be endlessly bombed with email and
other communication daily asking if they can test things, asking
if the code is ready, asking why it is not public, etc...

In short, if you want to keep up to date with what hardware is
supported by DRI with open source drivers, you might want to join
the dri-devel mailing list.  Judging by how long it will have
taken to get Radeon 8500 support once it is released in an
official XFree86 release, I believe it is fairly good assumption
that it will take that long or longer to see open source 3D
drivers for Radeon 9x00 as well.

>This may motivate me to replace my Radeon 7500 with a 9700 (now
>I can tell my wife what I want for Christmas :-)

If you want open source 3D support, or want working 3D out of the
box, right now the best card for 3D is the Radeon 7500.  When
XFree86 4.3.0 is released, if all goes well, then the Radeon 8500
will fill that place.

Radeon 9x00 hardware will have only closed source drivers for the
immediate future.  The difference now though, is that ATI is
providing their customers with their drivers they've
traditionally kept for their high end workstation customers, at
least until open source drivers may appear.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer