Re: Antialiasing blurs vertical font elements

More info:

Hinting _is_ controlled, at least in part, by fonts.conf:

<!--
 We can't hint CJK fonts well, so turn off hinting for CJK fonts.
 -->

        <match target="font">
                <test name="lang" compare="contains">
                        <string>ja</string>
                </test>
                <edit name="hinting" mode="assign">
                        <bool>false</bool>
                </edit>

My problem seems to be related to a Red Hat patch to freetype:
freetype-2.1.2-slighthint.patch

This adds hint flags to the freetype API for controlling things like
whether stem widths are snapped to integer values and whether they are
aligned with the pixel grid.  Exactly what I'm after.  But these flags
should be off by default and hence the default should result in the
behavior I'm used to.  I guess more investigation is needed.

I think I lack the competence to rebuild all of the applications and
to build freetype without this patch would break the now nonstandard
API, so I think I'll try to hack freetype to ignore these flags.

 - J<