Re: Antialiasing blurs vertical font elements

TD> There is some documentation on the config file at the end of the
TD> fontconfig man page.

I don't seem to have a fontconfig manpage:

XYX:temp:~> rpm -q fontconfig
fontconfig-2.0-3

XYX:temp:~> rpm -ql fontconfig
/etc/fonts
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf
/etc/fonts/fonts.dtd
/usr/bin/fc-cache
/usr/bin/fc-list
/usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1
/usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1.0
/usr/share/doc/fontconfig-2.0
/usr/share/doc/fontconfig-2.0/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/fontconfig-2.0/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/fontconfig-2.0/README

The README file contains nothing of use (and says it's for version
1.0.1 anyway).

TD> The real issue is, fontconfig and /etc/fonts/fonts.conf are NOT
TD> what draws the fonts, it just allows the fonts to be found and
TD> grouped easily.

I understand that, but it _is_ where antialiasing and the subpixel
format are specified, and hence seems to be an appropriate place to
look.  The fact that it has no documentation only means I have to ask
about it.  If someone can suggest another place to look, I'll be happy
to look there.

TD> GNOME2 is using Xft-2 (FreeType2) which other apps may be using
TD> other methods.

KDE is using the same library.  As I understand it, Red Hat made some
modifications to KDE to support fontconfig2 and thus Red Hat seems to
be the right entity to ask about this kind of thing.

 - J<